Monday, September 12, 2011

A tiny little box pouch

Today during nap I whipped up this little box pouch


It turned out great... except it's tiny. lol. Someone should help me out and post a chart for sizes of rectangles to cut for various sizes of box pouches. It just boggles my mind. Ok I think after this afternoon's experience I might be able to figure out how to make a larger, more usable box pouch. I've made these ones which are lined and usable for small toiletries/makeup/small embroidery kit. But I wanted a larger one to use for the Sewing Summit for my toiletries.



I used a re-usable bag from HomeGoods and left this unlined. I finished the seams inside with a piece of grosgrain ribbon folded in half (I pressed it in half using my iron on a medium setting). I really like this pouch even at the tiny 6" long that it is... not even long enough for pencils is it? haha. I used bits of the handle from the existing bag as pull tabs on either end. It came together in less than half an hour. For anyone as clueless as me (or even for myself in the future) the zipper was 10" and the fabric started at 9.5" x 11" 

Covered seams
I guess I'll have to get a longer zipper and give it a try with the other side of that bag! Allie will surely have fun with this little guy; she always does!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really cute!!!!And I need the chart too!!!!!lol I can't count how many times I had to cut the pouch because it look really weird!!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cute! I love the fact that you repurposed something else. I typically make my pencil pouches starting with fabric that is 6" by 10" and mine turns out long enough for pencils and markers and such. I carry too much make-up to fit it in a pouch this size (although I don't often wear much of any make-up :-/ )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this cracks me up because I did exactly the same thing when I first made one... "Like where's the rest of it lol..." I started out with 10 x 6 so I thought I'd try 15 x 9 next time thinking it would be a little bigger. Well it was bigger but 4 times as big. I still can't quite get my head around the maths but I can tell you it was 4 times the size. That might be a good size for you. Photo in my Flickr stream a few weeks back. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should add that I did 1 inch up from the point boxes (if that makes any sense to you). I think my zip was 14 inch and I did zipper tabs to make it up to the 15.

    ReplyDelete